The Quintessential Small Town
Kennedy, Minnesota, is the quintessential small town. The perfect blend of Mayberry and Cheers. Kennedy's a place where knowing your neighbors goes farther than names and faces, to knowing actual life stories and family histories. And, many of these families and their stories go back multiple generations, and are immersed in the city's history.
The facts about Kennedy, as of the 2010 census, reflect that 193 people, including 54 families, reside in 89 households in Kennedy. Of these households, 27% have children under the age of 18 and 52% are married couples living together. The average household size is 2, and the average family size is 3.
Kennedy's median age is 47 years, with the majority of the residents (36%) between the ages of 45 and 64. The minority of residents (4%) are ages 18 to 24. Residents under the age of 18 make up 25% of the population, ages 25 to 44 equal 18%, and 65 years and older total 17%. Gender make up is 48% male and 52% female.
Facts and figures, however, can't accurately reflect the quality of life enjoyed when living in Kennedy. It's not the number of residents that makes Kennedy a wonderful place in which to live. But rather, who these people are and how they live their lives—from a subtle wave when meeting on an arrow-straight stretch of highway, to coming together at a fundraiser in support of a neighbor in need. It's small town values... It's Minnesota nice... It's the combination of all of these things that best defines life in Kennedy!
Some of the locals include:
- Esther Pietruszewski, who manages the Senior Center, ensuring a hot meal and activities to area seniors.
- Wayne Hultgren, who spends some of his free time in the winter managing the Ice Rink.
- Vanessa Mattson, who you'll often find watering the pansies in front of the Senior Center or in the Community Garden on a summer morning.
- Birdie Balstad riding bike to the post office on a summer morning.
- A table full of farmers gathered at the elevator for morning coffee.
- Neighborhood friends Carter and Megan Larson, and Presley, Paige and Marshall Truedson, fishing in the coulee on a lazy, summer afternoon.
- Friends Kayla Petersburg and Charlotta Mattson rollerblading around town as they chat and laugh and catch up on teenage news.