Building Permits within the City of Kennedy are regulated by Kittson County, as Kittson County has countywide zoning.
Building Permit Requirements
A building permit is required if you are planning to build a structure, add on to a structure, or move a structure onto your property. Specifically, permits are required for the following situations:
- when a structure is built or moved in, including signs and fences;
- when a structure's footprint is changed, including the addition of decks or steps;
- when the layout of the residence is changed to add more bedroom space (a bedroom has a closet); and
- when dealing with demolition sites, disposal of contaminated soil, landfills, wetlands, underground tanks and digging or filling in a well.
Obtaining a Building Permit
- contact the City office either in person or by telephone;
- describe the planned construction activity; and
- pay the $25 Buidling Permit Fee.
Kittson County has defined a series of fines to be levied for building within the County without a permit. The County Ordinance also states any landowner in violation of the Ordinance may be prosecuted and charged with a misdemeanor.
- $100 fine when Building Permit is obtained within seven days after the construction;
- $250 fine when Building Permit is obtained between eight and ninety days after the construction; and
- $500 fine when Building Permit is obtained more than ninety days after the construction